Sunday 11 November 2007

Remembrance Day

It is Remembrance Day today and both the Guvnr and I where down at the Cenotaph. He in his official capacity and me just as a sailor in uniform remembering.

Was a decent turn out and an excellent speech by an Army Colonel that brought tears to many eye's, including myself.

I was rather disturbed though on the walk back home with the amount of people, mostly Australian, that asked me why I was in uniform. Most had simply forgotten what day it was, though quite a lot didn't even know what Remembrance Day was.....very sad indeed.

Sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed my friend - know that this little Australian paused for reflection at the appointed hour and indeed have been remembering all day. Glad to hear you're well, and keeping the spirit alive. Home in 2.5 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Over here in Glasgow just about everyone has a poppy on their lapel.
It's very much remembered. I think Anzac day takes most of the limelight in Australia.
I remember of course, because my dad was in WW2 - one of the Rats of Tobruk.
cheers matey ! Ian.