Wednesday 17 October 2007

The Middle Aged and the Restless

I seem to be coming to a stage of my life where I think I may actually be growing up. Yes wonders will never cease as they say.

In my new job down here in 'Hell's Toilet' as I have named it, I am what they call the regulator, or in simple speak, I look after all the staff from there job placement to their leave, to their training etc etc.

Up until now I had never really looked at a 20 odd year old and thought of them as, 'The younger generation', they have simply been younger then me. But alas things have been slowly changing and I have several times now looked at the silly things they do and shaken my head in wonder.

Seeing as over the last year I have been treating patients that were born the year I joined the Navy nearly 19 years ago, I think I can officially call myself middle aged, well early middle aged might sound better .... lol

When have those that have reached an age, thought of themselves as an adult?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Simon

XOX

5 comments:

Superchilled said...

I started to think of myself as an adult when people started to listen to the things that I told them, took the advice I gave, or came to ask me for same. But even then it took a while to get that into my head, and sometimes now it still feels odd that I am an adult, when I still have some of the feelings and thoughts of a much younger me.

Anonymous said...

You're still young, I feel [sometimes] ancient, like an OAP, only 14 years to go...

I felt middle age when my nephew said You to me, before that he used to say you.

T said...

I realsied I had to act like an adult when my 1st child was born : as he had to be fed, clothed and educated !

Litzi said...

Hi Simon,
This is a thought provoking post…and rather depressing! When we’re young, we obsess about being old enough to get a drivers’ license, purchase alcohol legally and vote. Time seems to drag by very slowly in anticipation of becoming an adult but when we attain that “magical” age, we become blasé and apathetic. As the years pass, we don’t pay much attention to our age because there’s always too much to do and never enough time to get everything accomplished. How many of us have said “if only there were a few more hours in the day”? As we get a bit older, it dawns on us how fast the years are passing by and would like to try to slow things down a bit.

I think “adult” is a relative term. We’re children first; then we become grown-ups and towards the end we become childlike again. I’m pushing 60 and most of the time I feel like a responsible, hard working mature woman who blends in with the world around her. However, upon occasion I find myself wondering why I’m playing in an adult world when I’m still a scared little kid. And there are times when I look in the mirror and wonder who that old woman is staring back at me…how’d that happen so quickly?

The next time you look at a 20-odd year old person, try to think how much more you know now than you did then and rejoice that you’ve paid your dues to get to the age you’re at….

altraeis said...

All very true, and I guess a little of how we all feel. I love who I am and loving the age I am as well. The mirror I have found is not a good indicator as everyone seems to see us differently to who we see ourselves...hmmmmm